Thursday, January 17, 2008

Blogging

It makes me happy. I love that I can live in the middle of the jungle on an island in the Caribbean Sea and I can still access good content on things which interest me. In the past it was necessary to get a subscription to a magazine or to watch a television show in order to get this stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I still like to read books and magazines, but I can't load up on them these days like I could when we lived in Houston, Texas.

I have several groupings of blogs saved in my browser of places I check out several times a week for education and inspiration.

We recently had a guest stay here who is both an esteemed author and professor as well as a dad, a husband, and a nice guy - Bob Sutton. I have been reading his blog, Work Matters, ever since. Speaking with him and his amazing wife, Marina, reminded me to open my eyes to other types of blogs for both education and information. (BTW - Bob's most recent book is helpful even if you don't work in a "normal" workplace. I read it before his family's arrival based upon some information his tour operator provided to me. It is a good read!)

If I had to pick my top nine blogs as of today - they would be (in no particular order):

- Amanda Soule's Blog
- Amy Karol's Blog
- Erin Harris' Blog
- Jessica Jone's Blog
- Bob Sutton's Blog
- Ali Edwards' Blog
- Kathy Mack's Blog
- Sew Mama Sew Store Blog
- Suzanne's Blog on iWeb and other technical stuff

It is not at all unusual that I begin on one person's blog and then follow the links to the next and the next and the next. I have a variety of tutorials and recipes and scrapbook ideas stored away in my favorites. I pull inspiration from these when it comes time to make something for the kids or for the cabanas, etc. But honestly, I am a lurker. I do not leave comments and I rarely communicate with the authors of the blogs. It is more like reading a book or a magazine for me. I must credit Ali Edwards for getting me started in all of this. I get a newsletter for a digital scrapbooking website called Scrapgirls (my husband loves that one) and Ali was interviewed in the newsletter. There was a link to her blog. And from there I was hooked. I only hope that someday someone will feel the same way about our blog, or trip reports, etc.

Have a great day!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home